Dr. Gitanjali Sen is an Associate Professor, at the Department of Economics, Shiv Nadar University, UP. She specializes in Development Economics and is working in Applied Microeconomics areas that are relevant to public policy. Her research interest is in areas of inclusive development, particularly, on access to education, health, employment, finance, and their role in the study of poverty and inequality. Some of her current works include study of early life health and its connection to later life outcomes, diversity in higher education and labor market outcomes. Earlier, she has also worked in areas of child labor and returns to education. Her interests also include impact evaluation of social sector programs. She has published in internationally acclaimed journals like World Development, The Journal of Development Studies and the Economic and Political Weekly.
Before joining the faculty of Shiv Nadar University in April 2013, she has been at the faculty of Administrative Staff College of India, Hyderabad, where she has conducted training programs for the officers of the Indian Economics Services, Indian Statistical Services and Indian Revenue services. She has also worked in public policy think tank Observer Research Foundation, at the faculty of Jain group of Institutions in Bangalore, and for an Information Technologies Company as Lead Economist on impact evaluation projects. The latter involved study of an IT intervention in the Public Distribution System of India, which was a collaborative project with J-PAL-USA. Being in the area of applied economics, she has worked in ESRC funded project, on consultancy projects, designing survey tools, collection of data through primary surveys and training the field staff and such. Earlier, at Shiv Nadar University, she has served as the member of Ethics Committee on Research, the committee of Board of Studies for the university and the committee for graduate studies in Economics.
She has taught courses in Development Economics (Undergraduate and graduate level), Applied Econometrics (graduate), Basic Econometrics for Undergraduates, Intermediate Microeconomics, Research Methodology, Principles of Economics, Managerial Economics and Business Statistics, to name a few. She has participated in a workshop on teaching MITx course, conducted at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA in Nov-Dec 2018.
Dr. Sen is a Masters and PhD in Economics from the University of Missouri-Columbia, USA, in the year 2002, and received her undergraduate degree from University of Calcutta, India.
SSRN page: http://ssrn.com/author=694788
Applied Development (Micro-economics) areas:-
- Poverty, inequality and Living Standards
- Financial Inclusion
- Impact studies.
- Dec, 2019, Conferece in Development Economics, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India.
- Oct 2019, Sustainability and Development Conference in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA.
- Aug 2018, Conference by Center for Public Policy-Indian Institute of Management Bangalore.
- June, 2018, Invited talk at Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Kolkata.
- May 2018, Conference on Health Economics, Essen, Germany.
- April 2018. Invited lecture at Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai.
- Dec 2017. International conference on Development Economics, Jadavpur University, Kolkata.
- Nov 2017. Invited lecture on symposium in higher education, at Sri Ram College of Commerce, New Delhi.
- June, 2017, Development Economics conference, University of Gottingen, Germany.
- June, 2017. Invited talk at Wuppertal University, Germany.
- March, 2017. Conference in KU Leuven, Belgium.
- February, 2017. National University of Educational Planning and Administration, New Delhi.
- Jan 2017, Econ World Conference, Rome.
- Dec 2016, International Conference on Development Economics, Jadavpur University, Kolkata.
- Feb 2016, EconWorld2016, Barcelona, Spain.
- Dec 2015, International conference on Development Economics, Jadavpur University, Kolkata.
- Dec 2015, at 11th Annual Conference on Economic Growth and Development, at Indian Statistical Institute- New Delhi, India.
- Jan 2015, Invited discussant at the Workshop on ‘Gender violence and curriculum development,” organized by the Harvard South Asia Initiative and Public Health Foundation in India, New Delhi.
- July 2014, National Council of Applied Economics and Research (NCAER), New Delhi.
- Feb 2014, invited discussant at a conference on ‘Women in Higher Education,’ at Colombo, Sri Lanka, Organized by the British Council, UK.
- Nov 24, 2011: Conference, CESI, University of Hyderabad.
- Dec 2011. Winter School, Delhi School of Economics.
- December, 2011: International conference on Development Economics, Jadavpur University, Kolkata.
- July, 2011: Center for the Advanced Study of India, University of Pennsylvania and Centre for Policy Research, New Delhi.
- Jan, 2011: Global Conclave in Higher Education, at NUEPA, New Delhi.
World Development, The Journal of Development Studies, Journal of Developing Areas, Development and Change, Journal of Business Economics and Statistics, Journal of Interdisciplinary Economics, Journal of Modeling in Management, Review of Market Integration.
American Economic Association